2-202: Make a New Cloth Spine for Book with Inner Hinges Intact
How to Make a New Cloth Spine for a Book with Inner Hinges Intact
This course explains how to replace a book spine damaged beyond repair. For this particular book, the inner hinges are intact and so I show how to make a new cloth spine for book with inner hinges intact. In other words we are replacing the whole spine without removing the boards.
- Type of Book: Children’s Book that is Oversewn and Stapled
- This Book in Particular: Watty Piper’s: Stories That Never Grow Old
- Issue: The spine is missing but the inner hinges are intact
- Treatment: Create and apply new spine with home-made book-cloth without taking the book apart. Skipping the Case-spine liner for this one.
- 30 Minutes of Video
- PERPETUAL CAVEAT: Never repair rare and/or scarce books. When in doubt only do preservation treatments and consult an accredited professional.
In this course:
- Make your own book-cloth using acrylic paint to color unbleached muslin
- Be sure to note how the spine title is oriented. If it is upright on a shelf do you tilt your head left or right to read it? Some British books are tilt left.
- Casing-in when the boards are still on the book
- Where to get Book-cloth:
Tools and Materials: Basic Book Repair Kit plus Level One Tools and Materials List
- Lectures 1
- Quizzes 0
- Students 21
- Assessments Yes