Instructor: Sophia S.W. Bogle
- Over 25 years of hands-on experience restoring books
- Diploma in Book Conservation 2009 from the American Academy of Bookbinding
- Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of Minnesota
- Started Red Branch Book Restoration in 2000 now dba Save Your Books
- Author of Book Restoration Unveiled
- The History of Book Restoration
- Archival Book Repair, Preservation, and Restoration Tips for Booksellers and Book Collectors
- How to Identify Book Restoration, Sophistication and Fraud
- Options for Your Broken Books
Presentation Format Options:
- Show and Tell
- Panel Discussions
What people are saying:
"Sophia Bogle of Save Your Books has been a frequent guest speaker in my history of publishing class at Southern Oregon University and I have my students read her essays on conservation and repair. She's an enlightening, inspiring presenter and more than one student has gotten interested in the book restoration field from her talks. If you ever get a chance to hear her, don't miss it."
- Edwin Battistella, Professor of English, Southern Oregon University and author of Sorry About That.
"I have had the pleasure and fortune to twice participate in presentations by Sophia Bogle of Save Your Books. Her talks and demonstrations on book repair and restoration are well designed for booksellers and collectors, from novice to experienced. As an experienced bookseller myself, I have been surprised by how much I learned from Sophia about how books are constructed, how to identify previous repairs, and simple techniques to improve the appearance of books with erasers, archival glue, and colored pencils. I now put many of the techniques I’ve learned in her presentations to use in the everyday practice of bookselling, and have been amazed at how I have been able to save many good books from the donation pile with a simple repair."
- Rachelle Markley, Crooked House Books / Cascade Booksellers Association
"Sophia’s presentation style is professional and relaxed, and she brings loads of examples and images. The opportunity to see a beautiful 200 year old leather-bound book that has been restored to its original glory using the techniques she has described is a wonderful experience."
- Holly Hertel, Medford Public Library
- Archival Book Repair
- Basic Book Care and Repair
- Paper and Page Repair
- Leather Book Care and Repair
- All classes are geared towards amateurs with little to no equipment.
- Good internet connection is necessary for presentations and large classes.
- All classes have an underlying structure based on the Save Your Books' Guidelines of Book Repair and Book Cleaning
This is a video clip from the class I taught in Seattle in April 2016:
What people are saying:
"Sophia came well prepared to teach a group of individuals with varied skills and backgrounds the basics of book repair. Each person worked on their own projects and received individualized instruction and support as they progressed throughout the day. For both the novice and inexperienced, the workshop proved a valuable opportunity to further their skills."
- Bonnnie Thompon Norman
"Taking Sophia's courses definitely brought my book binding and repair skills to an entirely new level. Sophia makes even the toughest projects fun and really wants to see people succeed. She's a true expert in her field and I cannot recommend her enough. She's THE BEST!!!
- Camille P.
Like most book lovers I had much loved and very worn books on my shelf in bad need of repair. Sophia's class was the perfect first step in learning to save my books. Her instruction and demonstrations were thorough and well paced. All the information I needed to launch out on my own was presented and I was successful in my first attempt to mend an old book.
I also recommend her online instruction. Together, one on one, she taught me in more depth the techniques I needed for a particularly difficult volume I was working on.
I highly recommend Sophia and 'Save Your Books'. The time spent is satisfying and fun and I have a terrific new hobby.
Vashon Island, Washington