Instructor: Sophia S.W. Bogle
- Over 25 years of hands-on experience restoring books
- Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of Minnesota
- Started Red Branch Book Restoration in 2000 now dba Save Your Books
- Diploma in Book Conservation 2009 from the American Academy of Bookbinding
- Author of Book Restoration Unveiled
Presentations ~ Demonstrations ~ Classes
What are people saying?
"Sophia Bogle of Save Your Books has been a frequent guest speaker in my history of publishing class at Southern Oregon University and I have my students read her essays on conservation and repair. She's an enlightening, inspiring presenter and more than one student has gotten interested in the book restoration field from her talks. If you every get a chance to hear her, don't miss it."
- Edwin Battistella, Professor of English, Southern Oregon University
"I have had the pleasure and fortune to twice participate in presentations by Sophia Bogle of Save Your Books. Her talks and demonstrations on book repair and restoration are well designed for booksellers and collectors, from novice to experienced. As an experienced bookseller myself, I have been surprised by how much I learned from Sophia about how books are constructed, how to identify previous repairs, and simple techniques to improve the appearance of books with erasers, archival glue, and colored pencils. I now put many of the techniques I’ve learned in her presentations to use in the everyday practice of bookselling, and have been amazed at how I have been able to save many good books from the donation pile with a simple repair."
- Rachelle Markley, Crooked House Books / Cascade Booksellers Association
"Sophia’s presentation style is professional and relaxed, and she brings loads of examples and images. The opportunity to see a beautiful 200 year old leather-bound book that has been restored to its original glory using the techniques she has described is a wonderful experience."
- Holly Hertel, Medford Public Library
Archival Book Repair Presentations & Demonstrations
Rates vary but must include travel expense. Slideshow presentations run about one and a half hours to two hours. Demonstrations run about two and a half hours.
Archival Book Repair Classes
(Available to travel)
- All classes are geared towards amateurs with little to no equipment.
- 3 hour minimum.
- Travel cost and Lodging must be provided
- Good internet connection is necessary for presentations and large classes.
- All classes have an underlying structure based on the Save Your Books' Guidelines of Book Repair and Book Cleaning
Basic Book Care and Repair
Paper and Page Repair
Leather Book Care and Repair
This is a bit from the class I taught in Seattle in April 2016: